Van is adamant to make music that means something, songs that have a strong message with a catchy chorus. His music can be best described as urban roots, with a funky, mainstream pop sensibility, a kind of acoustic storytelling with a groove. He mentions Babyface, George Benson, Stevie Wonder, Bobby McFerrin, Stevie Ray Vaughn & Prince as strong influences. Currently he enjoys Ben Harper, Jack Johnson, Ani De Franco, John Mayer, Jason Mraz, Dave Matthews Band & Jamiroquai among others.
Van Sereno likes to be known as songwriter first and foremost. He's worked as session guitarist and vocalist on numerous projects, both covers and originals (In Full Swing, Evail, Afrofunk, Jacuzi, The Pop Experience, The Smooth Groove). He's supported Australian acts such as Christine Anu, Marcia Hines, Vanessa Amarosi, Diesel, Richard Clapton and even US blues legend John Hammond, UK soul artist Andrew Roachford and US RnB artist John Legend in the past.
His solo debut album "I think I know" was launched April 29th 2005 at V Bar Sydney CBD. Nationally distributed throughout Australia by MGM, retailing at $29.95, the album was co-produced by Nathan Johnson (Sleepy Jackson, Citizen Dog, Brett Hunt) and mastered by William Bowden (Gerling, Red Riders, The Cops).
His second album "persistence" was launched to a capacity crowd at The Vanguard, Newtown 6th March 2007. Nationally distributed throughout Australia by Foghorn/MGM, retailing at $24.95. The album was produced by Van himself with Russell Pilling as sound engineer and William Bowden as mastering engineer.
His third album "another way" is a live acoustic album recorded on 2nd June 2007 @ Damien Gerard Studios, with Byron Mark accompanying him on percussion; released at Ruby Rabbit on 27th October 2007. The album was produced by van himself with Russell Pilling as sound engineer and Andrew Beck as mastering engineer.
"Together" is his fourth album released on itunes late 2008, recorded, mixed and mastered at Damien Gerard Studios. With a new line up in the core band (Shane Barret on drums, John Maddox on bass, Byron Mark on Keys) Van teamed up with the cream of Sydneys indie artists coming up with an eclectic mix of styles - a duets project that clearly expresses his boundless skill as a songwriter. Standout tracks are the smoothe and soulful "Move on", the happy go lucky "Lets Get Away" and the very jazzy "Understanding".
"Yeah I Know" is his fifth independent album, two years in the making he begun this project back in the Philippines in mid 2009 on the back of a controversial major label signing that fell through. Not to let his hopes down he recorded this project at Springfield Studios in Sydney, mixed it in Boston Massachusetts USA at Fader Vu Studios and mastered it in Portland Oregan USA. His new band consists of Deva Permana on drums, Carlo Tapia on bass, Byron Mark on keyboards and percussion and Van on vocals and guitars. Definitely his best work yet, this latest instalment is a culmination of maturity, growth and wisdom in both songwriting craft and his technical musicianship.
- Vans videoclip "suspicious" has aired on "Rage" ABC, NoiseTV" SBS, "PinoyTV" TVS channel31 Sydney 2005
- Vans videoclip "persistence" has aired on "Music jungle" channel 9, "Rage" ABC and "PinoyTV" TVS channel31 Sydney 2006
- The song "I think I know" is included on "sounds Like Cafe: volume 7" compilation CD. Sydney 2005
- The song "Leave" is included on "sounds like cafe: volume 9" compilation CD. Sydney 2006
- The song "Third Week" from the album "another way" is included on "sounds like cafe; volume 13" compilation CD. Sydney 2007
- The song"If I Die" from the album "together" has been included in "sounds like cafe: volume 19" compilation CD. Sydney 2008
- The song "little bonsai" was placed on high rotation on Australias commercial radio station Triple J, on Sarah Howells thursday nights "roots'n all" show. April 2007
- The song "Just Come Here" was played on Australias commercial radio station Triple J, on Sarah Howells thursday nights "roots'n all" show. November 2007
- The song "little bonsai" was included on the compilation cd "Home Grown Roots volume1". early 2008
- The song "little bonsai" was placed as background music in a scene on a US tv show airing on Channel ABC in North America and Canada called "Big Shots" June 2008
- The song "What Then" from the album "i think i know" was aired on Filipino morning show "Umagang Kay Ganda" channel ABS CBN in August 2008. The clip can be seen on youtube.com
- The song "Too Good" from the album "together" was included on the compilation cd "Home Grown Roots Volume3". Sydney late 2008.