Two years, four hundred shows and thousands of CDs are in the hands of punters all over the country. BENJALU are seeing venues becoming more crowded and the sing alongs getting louder at their live energetic shows, while clocking more kilometres then most people could ever imagine.
Good vibes and good times run through the blood of the four mates known as BENJALU.
A message, sent through Chinese whispers is helping the constant growth of the cult following this band has, both nationally and internationally. Another successful year gone to reflect on, a new one is born. With it brings a whole new chapter to be written.
BENJALU are thinking big for 2011 and are stoked to have some new friends on board to give them a helping hand. Anthony Lycenko (U2, Elvis Costello, Pete Murray) and Ian Prittchet (The Beautiful Girls, Angus and Julia Stone, Cog) will be producing and engineering four releases the boys have planned for the next 12 months. The releases will be EPs, each showing a variety of sounds and styles BENJALU has grown to love; 60' and 70's rock, blues and roots, acoustic, reggae and groove. The band have all grown up singing along to artists that have written catchy hooks and memorable melodies and this is something that they hope to keep relaying into their own tunes.
The touring will continue. Having already completed the North Coast leg of their summer tour, the South Coast leg is just around the corner. It includes The Australia Day Festival at the Rocks, Sydney, featuring acts such as Katie Noonan, Cloud Control and Hungry Kids of Hungary. Victoria shows, including their favourite Victorian venue, The Baha Lounge in South Melbourne are happening in late January. The band then head to South Australia and finish up in Western Australia for the Nannup Festival in early March.
A busy 2011 is in front of BENJALU. Get ready for the first release in April!
BENJALU Highlights 09/10
- New Years Eve ’09- Massive show at Newcastle’s ultimate venue ‘The Brewery’ supporting The Living End and Children Collide.
- Festivals including- Peats Ridge (Blue King Brown, Sarah Blasko, The Panics), Ridgey Didge (Vasco Era, Rob Sawyer), Strikeback (Josh Pyke, Faker), High Voltage (The Beautiful Girls, After the Fall), Fun Faster Sound System (True Live), Surry Hills Festival, ‘Australia Day 2011 @ The Rocks’, Nannup Music Festival
- Supports with Ash Grunwald, Katchafire (NZ), State Radio (USA), Kate Miller Heidke, Marshall & The Fro, Jon Stevens, Gangajang, Dragon, Ross Wilson, James Reyne, The Basics
- Awarded Best Blues and Roots act and Best Young Talent at the 2010 ABC awards.
- Featured on two nationally released compilation CDs ‘Jam for Awareness’ and ‘Home Grown Roots Vol. 3’ alongside the likes of John Butler, Missy Higgins, Grinspoon, Blue King Brown, Paul Kelly and Ash Grunwald.
- Toured New Caledonia
- Channel Ten’s ‘New Wave’ television series used benjalu’s song as the soundtrack for their show
- Songs such as ‘My Shelter My Fortress’ and ‘The Lie’ have featured on national and international radio stations, Triple J, ABC, FBI and Nefarious Bovine radio (USA).
- Sponsorship with Cole Clark Guitars and Sabre Vision
- National tour with Blues and Roots trio Marshall and the Fro
- Selected to play at the Australian Youth Climate Change Summit
- Songs selected for the Quicksilver Big Eddie Surf Comp in Hawaii
- Reflecting On (2007)
- Waterwalls (2009)
- Home Grown Roots Vol 3 (Paul Kelly, John Butler, Ash Grunwald)
- Jam For Awareness (Missy Higgins, Grinspoon, Blue King Brown)
- Rhythm Kangaroo (Brazilian Release- Bomba, Blue King Brown, Rogerthat)
What We’ve Heard
“If practice makes perfect, Novocastrian roots outfit benjalu must be close.” (Nils Hay, Rave Magazine).
“Young and exciting act” (Nick Milligan, Reverb Magazine)
“Just infectious and hard not to get involved with their clever grooves and good feel” (James Schaefer, Jam Magazine)
For more information and enquiries;
PO Box 47 St Peters, NSW 2044 Australia
M: (+61) 0422 966 112
Ph: (+61-2) 9597 5544
F: (+61-2) 9556 2027
More Info Bio_2011_2_.pdf